Who is Virgin Pulse?
Virgin Pulse, founded as part of Sir Richard Branson’s famed Virgin Group, helps organizations build employee health and wellbeing into the DNA of their corporate cultures. As the only company to deliver a powerful, mobile-first digital platform infused with live services, including coaching and biometric screenings, Virgin Pulse’s takes a high-tech-meets-high-touch-approach to engage employees in improving across all aspects of their health and wellbeing, every day – from prevention and building a healthy lifestyle to condition and disease management;all while engaging users daily in building and sustaining healthy habits and behaviors. A global leader in health and wellbeing, Virgin Pulse is committed to helping change lives and businesses around the world for good so that people and organizations can thrive, together. Today, more than 3100 organizations across the globe are using Virgin Pulse’s solutions to improve health, employee wellbeing and engagement, reduce costs and create strong workplace cultures.
Who are our employees?
At Virgin Pulse we’re passionate about changing lives for good. We want to make a difference in the world by helping people be healthy so they can perform at their best, every day, at work and home. Our award-winning solutions support leading employers in improving and simplifying the employee health and wellbeing journey and engaging people in all aspects of their health. But our world-class products and programs are nothing without our people – the employees who design, build, promote, sell, test and perfect the latest innovations in workplace health and wellbeing. Our people are our top priority and we invest in their health and happiness. At Virgin Pulse, we have so much more than a strong, supportive company culture – have a shared vision for a healthier, happier world.
Virgin Pulse values and celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We believe in creating teams made up of individuals with various backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Why? Because diversity inspires innovation, collaboration, and challenges us to produce better solutions. But more than this, diversity is our strength, and a catalyst in our ability to #changelivesforgood.
What we are building:
We are focused on continuing the growth of our next-generation SaaS application and are
looking for people who aspire to be professional Software Engineers to join our team.
As a Software Engineer at Virgin Pulse, you will work on a scrum team. You bring to the table a base understanding of many modern open-source web technologies and are dedicated to learning more. Each day you will be collaborating with Tech Leads, Product Managers, UX Designers, and other talented Engineers to deliver great solutions on an exponentially growing application.
You'll be working on a platform that serves:
• Several million engaged users
• 50 billion+ consumer-generated API calls a year
• Native mobile clients with 750k+ MAU (Monthly Active Users)
Who you are
Hiring is the most important thing a growing business needs to do well. We look for engineers who have following the three attributes: they are technical, versatile, and data-driven. Since each engineering team operates with a high degree of autonomy, the work to deliver software involves many functions from sprint to sprint with a model of "build it, run it". As we hire, we are looking for engineers who are good communicators and can do more than just writing code. Versatility and making decisions based on data are important attributes of working in engineering.
In this role, you will wear many hats but your skills will be especially essential in the following:
• Design, code, and test new platform components, features, and enhancements for our
native mobile platforms (Kotlin)
• Collaborate with agile cross-functional teams to define, design, and ship new features
• Triage, analyze and improve app performance in production
• Participate in sprint ceremonies to design solutions, estimate effort, and collaborate with
the team to effectively plan work
• Unit-test code for robustness, including edge cases, usability, and general reliability
Monitor platform performance tools in production and raise awareness to team
What you bring to the team
• 4+ years of mobile development experience
• Outstanding problem-solving skills and a solid grasp of object-oriented programming
• Solid understanding of the full mobile development life cycle
• Strong communication skills, openness to collaborate, and enthusiasm to deliver as a part
of a team
• A passion and drive for learning technologies and applying them pragmatically
• An ability to contribute to a technical discussion and the openness to listen and learn
from your peers
You should at least be familiar with:
• Experience with Kotlin
• Experience working with remote data via REST and JSON
• Experience with Android SDK
• Experience with third-party libraries and APIs
• Experience writing Unit Tests
• Agile Scrum or Kanban methodologies
• Understanding of Android design principles and interface guidelines
• Familiarity with continuous integration
• Experience with Android frameworks
• Understanding of design patterns
What makes you stand out:
• Experience with reactive programming (RxJava, RxKotlin)
• Experience with offline storage, database management systems (Room), multithreading,
and performance tuning
• Familiarity with continuous integration
• Experience with most common Android architectures (MVVM)• Familiar with Bluetooth, NFC, or other short-distance wireless communication
• Experience with building accessible apps
• Experience with publishing apps
• Experience in monitoring app health through various tools (firebase, new relic, etc)
No candidate will meet every single desired qualification. If you may be a good fit, we encourage you to apply. Virgin Pulse is an equal opportunity organization and is committed to principles of social justice, equity, diversity and inclusion. As we are committed to diversifying our company, we make a particular effort to recruit and encourage candidates that are historically from underrepresented communities to apply for open positions.
Work to maintain system and data security at a high standard, ensuring the confidentiality, integrity and availability of the Virgin Pulse application is not compromised. Adhere to industry best practice coding standards and verify all code developed at Virgin Pulse is free from bugs and security vulnerabilities such as those defined and published by OWASP.
Why work here?
*We believe a career should provide competitive pay and benefits, a collaborative and supportive work environment, strong employee culture and cutting-edge technology and services — so many reasons to love it here.
*We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to any protected class status.
* Please note that Virgin Pulse representativs will only communicate with you via our own corporate communication tools with virginpulse.com email addresses and through partnership with our Applicant Tracking System, iCIMS, which will clearly reference Virgin Pulse. We do not use third part apps like WIRE or WhatsApp to communicate.
*At no time during the interview process will we ask you for secure PII data unless you are offered a job with Virgin Pulse. Should you be offered a job, and accept, you will be proivded with secure links through our partnership with ADP.